Tackle scientific challenges alongside some of the nation’s leading energy, environment, and national security researchers
Washington state is home to several research institutions, and Washington State University and Pacific Northwest National Laboratory are paving the way in clean energy, smart manufacturing, sustainability, and national security innovation. And they’re seeking fresh minds. Through the PNNL-WSU Distinguished Graduate Research Program (DGRP), Ph.D. students will earn a stipend along with benefits, funded by their WSU and PNNL advisors, while working under a prestigious graduate committee on nationally relevant research. It is a unique opportunity to tap into the knowledge and world-class research infrastructure available at both institutions.
DGRP students will work with faculty at WSU and scientists at PNNL while completing their graduate coursework and subsequently transfer to PNNL for the remaining years of their PhD program to gain hands-on research experience with PNNL scientists. Research opportunities include but are not limited to the following areas:
- Electric power and Smart Grid
- Biofuels, bio-products, and catalysis
- Environmental, water and soil science and engineering
- Current and past areas of research can be found here
- Assistantship for financial support (salary, tuition waiver, benefits, support for mandatory fees) that is funded by a student’s WSU and PNNL advisors.
- Oversight by graduate committee of nationally-recognized scientists
- Collaboration with nationally recognized (and, in some cases, world-renowned) researchers
- Access to world-class research infrastructure
*Additional support may be requested from advisors if Ph.D. program extends beyond four years. Funding does not come directly from the DGRP.
Questions about the program? Contact DGRP@wsu.edu
DGRP Applications Open News Release
AGI ESIC Seminar: HELICS-Based Co-Simulation with Transactive Microgrids Using Grid-Edge Devices Seminar Information
Grid Resilience in the Face of a Pandemic News Release
DGRP Provides Real‑World Experience News Release
Recent DGRP Publications
- Enhancement of polyhydroxyalkanoate production by co-feeding lignin derivatives with glycerol in Pseudomonas putida KT2440 – Lead Author: Zhangyang Xu, 2018 Cohort
- Vertex Reordering for Real-World Graphs and Applications: An Empirical Evaluation – Lead Author: Reet Barik, 2020 Cohort
- Activity‐Based Protein Profiling of Chitin Catabolism – Lead Author: Elias Zegeye, 2018 Cohort
- Reaction heterogeneity in practical high-energy lithium–sulfur pouch cells – Co-Author: Shuo Feng, 2018 Cohort
- Triethanolamine-Mediated Covalent Adaptable Epoxy Network: Excellent Mechanical Properties, Fast Repairing, and Easy Recycling – Lead Author: Cheng Hao, 2018 Cohort